Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Needlework(less) Tuesday . . .

It's Tuesday, but my sewing/crafting has been pretty limited this week.  I made a couple headbands for a little girl I've never met who's father shaved her head.  I don't know all the details and it doesn't really matter.  I just know that she's wearing lots of hats and headbands for a while and a mutual friend asked me to make her a few.

I also made some "infinity scarves" for our daughter.  If you're not familiar with this trend, an infinity scarf is basically a length of fabric with the cut ends sewn together to form a circle.  And they are selling for $20 or more!  Some bargain-priced knit and a few minutes of my time turned out customized scarves for less than half the price.  Most were waist-length and can be worn looped once or twice.  This pink "extreme" scarf is made from a yard of 60'-wide knit, cut in half lengthwise to make two 36x30 pieces, then sewn together into a 72x30 strip and then into a huge circle.  Amanda is wearing it wrapped three times.  You can get creative with these and add twists to the fabric before sewing, braid two or three fabrics together - whatever your imagination and Pinterest can come up with.

Other than those two small projects, my needlework has been limited to day-dreaming and doodling.  I've been looking for ideas for a scrappy quilt to use up my pile of "leftovers".   I finally found the perfect inspiration in this gorgeous quilt from Sarah Fielke at The Last Piece:


This quilt was designed to resemble the bass line on an equalizer, but my first thought was "books", of course.  My version will have 1" strips of medium-tone browns between the rows and around the outside to resemble a bookcase.  Now all I have to do is collect 350+ scrappy "books" to get started.

But not today.  Today, I'm at home with a severely knotted muscle in my back and gloomy weather outside, which makes it the perfect day to sit with a heating pad and back massager while I work on my current cross-stitch project.  Hope you're having a happy Needlework Tuesday!

Needlework Tuesday is brought to you by Heather at Books and Quilt.

6 comments:

  1. OMG, this quilt looks fantastic (and of course it is books and not some equalizer). I can't wait to see the progress of your version. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't noticed infinity scarves here yet, but they may arrive. You definitiey used a needle to make those, just the one that was in the sewing machine. My daughter cut her banks right to her scalp when she was very young. She wore headbands for months. Quite a cute accessory and so easy to make. nice of you to make some for the lttle girl.

    That is s lovely quilt. It should use up a few scraps. Thsnks for joining in at Needlework Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great scarf on a pretty girl! The quilt is very cool. I look forward to your version.

    I hope your back is better soon. My back is less than happy with me today. This morning, I was out shovelling the dump of snow (8 inches) we got yesterday and it's really sore. Good excuse for a long hot bath and a book.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the quilt and that you saw books on a shelf - that is really neat! And my niece is very pretty! Oh and the scarf is nice too . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. I think Casey would love a scarf too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea with the scarves! I'm going to have to give that a try - I'm a snap at sewing straight lines!

    ReplyDelete