Monday, November 9, 2009

A Christmas Carol - The Movie

Dave and I drove 110 miles round-trip, not to mention paying an exorbitant amount for popcorn and drinks, to see this movie over the weekend. It will be in our local theater over Thanksgiving weekend, but I was afraid with son home from college and in-laws visiting, I wouldn't be able to schedule a movie. But now that I've seen it, I will definitely make time to go a second time. The original Dickins story has been one of my favorites since childhood (see "Re-reading the Classics" post from read-a-thon). Since this version stars Jim Carrey, Dave was wishin' and hopin' for a comic version, but he was disappointed - it was nearly word-for-word true to the original. At least one of us was happy. The downside to the authenticity is that it may be difficult for young children to understand classic lines such as "There's more of gravy than of grave about you, whatever you are." The flip side of that is, with animation this gorgeous, kids will still be enthralled. There just aren't words to describe the detail and realism. I was blown away by "Polar Express" a couple years ago, and there have evidently been advances to the technology since then. I will be in line the day this comes out on DVD and add it to my list of perennial Christmas movies to watch.

3 comments:

  1. I've seen the previews and I'm hoping to get a chance to see this. Glad to hear that at least one of you was happy. And, I hope the expense popcorn was tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm amazed that you drove so far! I would never consider driving that far for something like that - I guess we have busier roads here in the UK!

    I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed it - I'll make sure I watch it at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jackie - Where we live, it is 55 miles to get to a mall, fast-food, etc. Lots of wide open space, but very little traffic.

    ReplyDelete