Thursday, February 4, 2010

23 Things Kansas - Week Four - Photo Sharing


reading
Originally uploaded by mrschupa
Photosharing is something every grandma should learn. I know 23 Things Kansas is supposed to be geared for library use, but pictures of grandsons are so much nicer than pictures of books. But what could be better than a picture of a grandson AND a book? This photo is our oldest daughter and her oldest son sharing a favorite Christmas book.

I chose to explore flikr on my first adventure in photosharing. I already had a Yahoo account so it was super simple to set up. Once I had my account open, it walked me through the steps of uploading pictures I already had on my computer. Flikr has good organizational helps that make it easy to group pictures into albums or "tag" them for easy reference later. 

Flikr also has a cool "blog" feature.  I selected this picture and clicked on "blog this" and after a brief set up to connect my flikr account and my blog account, I was able to blog this entry directly from the flikr site.  I love it when technologies work together.

Although I'm sure there are lots of library applications for this technology - summer reading, children's programs, promoting adult programs - it's a treasure for grandmas whose grandkids live seven hours away. Our daughter can upload photos straight from her camera and keep us up to date with everything they are doing. Good lesson!

1 comment:

  1. I love your grandson's eyes in this photo. He's so cute. I haven't tried Flikr but you make it sound so easy. Thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete