Saturday, September 24, 2011

"EMAW Slogan Draws Controversy"

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Manhattan, KS - A 1950's era slogan meant to inspire Kansas State fans, is instead causing controvery.

University officals asked the school's band to remove a formation highlighting the slogan "Every Man A Wildcat" from it's pregame routine on Saturday.

Those who dislike the slogan say the word "man" is not inclusive.  They prefer "Every Person A Wildcat".  Proponents say the phrase is a long-time tradition and "man" refers to all of mankind.
(excerpt from a Kansas City Star article)


And with that one ill-advised move, unnamed "university officials" set off a firestorm that reached all the way to the O'Reilly Factor on Fox News.  Seems to me that the "officials" were a little too eager to dive for legal cover, as we are prone to do in this litigation-happy society, and caved to the demands of the few without considering the many.  In an attempt to pacify a small group who supposedly felt left-out of the club, KSU "officials" fell over themselves rushing to pull the EMAW formation from the band's half-time show, but did they pause for even a moment to ponder the heritage of that phrase or it's meaning to thousands of KSU students and alumni?

I guess I just don't understand the need to make all language gender-neutral in order to feel included.  When the Declaration of Independence states that "all men are created equal", I know I'm covered.  When Jesus said "I am the resurrection and the life.  He who believes in me, though he shall die, he shall live", I am certain that He was speaking to me, also.  I don't feel any need to create strife to prove that I have a spot on the team.

This is not to say that it is never necessary to stand up for your rights.  I will stand up for equal pay for equal work.  I will stand up for protection from sexual harassment.  I will absolutely stand up for the rights of every women who is truly oppressed in Africa, the Middle East or right here at home.  And I will stand up for my daughter's right to wear an EMAW shirt expressing her pride in her university.  Last semester she was told - by a FEMALE professor - to leave class because the teacher was offended by her shirt.  In her passion to stand up for her OWN rights, she trampled on Amanda's.  

And these "university officials" who remain unnamed and unwilling to take a stand for their decision, trampled over KSU students and alumni, and they trampled a Kansas State University tradition.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you. All this prissiness about language is silly and keeps people from thinking about important things.

    ReplyDelete