Monday, May 14, 2012

The Other Side of the Story by Marian Keyes


Jojo Harvey is a dead ringer for Jessica Rabbit and the most ferocious literary agent in town. A former NYPD cop, she now lives in London making million-dollar book deals while trying to make partner at her firm . . . all the while sleeping with the boss man.
Lily Wright is an author who believes in karma, and is waiting for the sky to fall after stealing her former best friend's man. Though her first book failed to sell, her life turns upside down when her most recent book becomes a huge bestseller.
Gemma Hogan is an event designer extraordinaire, but her personal life is nonexistent after losing the love of her life and her best friend in one fell swoop. To make matters worse, her father has just left her mother. While taking care of her mother, she e-mails a close colleague about her frustrations, who in turn forwards the hilarious e-mails to a famous literary agent named Jojo Harvey, who just happens to represent her former friend, now enemy, Lily Wright. . . .
Written in the charming and chatty voice that has become Marian Keyes's signature style, this hilarious and heartwarming novel proves there are three sides to every story . . . especially in the world of publishing!

This is an older book (pub. 2004) that I grabbed in audio form from the library to listen to during my work commute.  In print, it's 528 pages, which adds up to twelve hours of listening. I was surprised, and maybe a little concerned, about how quickly I went through it. (I only live 11 miles from work.) 

There's not much I can say beyond the publisher's blurb above - except they're right. It's charming and chatty and hilarious and heartwarming.  Oh yeah, and great fun!  It would make a great beach read - or porch swing read if, like me, you're a l-o-n-g way from a beach.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Marian Keynes! I used to read ALL her books but I never read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't believe I've forgotten about Marian's books-I read 2 of them a couple of years ago(loved them), then had a baby and life as I knew it came to a halt. Seems my memory did too, cause I haven't thought of her books as a choice since then. Will definitely be getting my hands on this one! Thanks for the memory jogger! :)

    ReplyDelete