Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Meet Me at the Movies

Image from www.blogshouts.com
Break out the popcorn and Milk Duds, we're going to the movies!

If you read yesterday's post, you know that I'm frustrated at the amount of money we're paying each month to receive hundreds of TV channels that we don't watch.  Since shutting off the unused channels doesn't seem to be an option, I decided to go the other direction and find a way to use the nearly 400 channels we receive that do not involve extra fees (pay-per-view or shopping).  So what to watch?  All "reality" shows were immediately ruled out, as were crime shows involving initials (CSI, NCIS, etc.), and action/adventure movies.  But I love classic movies - romances, comedies, musicals and the occasional drama involving Hollywood's timeless stars.  Unfortunately, they aren't usually aired during prime time.  Thank heaven for DVR, the greatest invention since the library.

Using the search feature, I found ten movies featuring my favorite stars and set them to record.  Throughout the summer, I will be watching/reviewing at least one per week (I'm not good at schedules).  Here are the movies/stars I selected:


  • Easter Parade - Fred Astaire
  • Summer Stock - Gene Kelly
  • Bye Bye Birdie - Ann-Margret and Dick Van Dyke
  • Kiss Them For Me - Cary Grant
  • Rio Bravo - Dean Martin and John Wayne
  • Rear Window - Jimmy Stewart and Grace Kelly
  • That Funny Feeling - Sandra Dee and Bobby Darin
  • Love in the Afternoon - Audrey Hepburn
  • Change of Habit - Elvis Presley
  • Rope - Jimmy Stewart, Directed by Alfred Hitchcock

So what are you doing to stay out of the heat this summer?  How about joining me?  
If classic movies aren't your thing, how about movies of the 80's?  Movies featuring a specific location?  Movies based on books?  Pick your category (or a variety of categories), grab the button if you like, then come back and leave a link to whatever you post when you Meet Me at the Movies!

3 comments:

  1. You picked some great movies!! I'm sure you'll enjoy watching and reviewing them!! I'll have to pass on participating with my crazy work schedule and wrestling the remote out of hubby's hands, not sure I could commit to watching any movies this summer, but will look forward to reading your reviews!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bye Bye Birdie is one of my favorites. I actually hunted it down and bought it a few years ago. I've always had a crush on Dick Van Dyke! Enjoy your movies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forwardto this feature. Love classic movies. I liked Rear Window and Love in the Afternoon. Haven't seen the others.

    ReplyDelete