Sunday, December 16, 2012

The Sounds of Christmas: Part I

Tonight was the first of two Christmas concerts on my calendar.  The Brownville Concert Series Christmas Gala was amazing!  We attended the Gala last December and were so blown away that we bought season tickets for this year.  For those of you outside southeast Nebraska, or who haven't heard me carry on about it before, you can read about it here.  It is amazing talent for a rural Nebraska location - or for New York, for that matter.  The talent this evening was beyond amazing.  A young man named Scott Decker sang Oh Holy Night . . . and I just don't have words to tell you.  But honestly, experiencing music is a very personal thing, and hearing second-hand about a concert never gives you the same physical and emotional rush as being there, so I'll just move on.  

One of the performers was Marieann Meringolo, who looks - and sounds - eerily like Barbra Streisand.  She performed a song that has been recorded by many artists, but I happen to have on Streisand's Christmas Memories album.  I hadn't thought much about the song - it's not usually one of my favorites, but after the school tragedy in Connecticut this week, it became more poignant.  I bought Ms. Meringolo's Christmas album, and I searched youtube for a video to share with you, but no luck.  So, here is the original - My Grownup Christmas List by Barbra Streisand.  May we each make it our prayer this Christmas.



As children we believedThe grandest sight to seeWas something lovelyWrapped beneath our tree.
Well heaven surely knowsThat packages and bowsCan never healA hurting human soul
No more lives torn apartThat wars would never startThat time would heal all heartsEveryone would have a friendAnd right would always winAnd love would never end.This is my grown-up Christmas list

1 comment:

  1. Amy Grant also does a nice rendition of "Grown-Up Christmas List". I agree it's especially poignant this year.

    ReplyDelete