Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Clothespin Apron Tutorial

A couple days ago, I posted about a clothespin apron I made from instructions I found on Pinterest.  I also intended to use the apron to earn a badge through Farm Girl Sisterhood.  However, when I read the badge requirements more thoroughly (I can hear my fifth grade teacher now "Read ALL of the instructions before you begin.") there was a 2-hour minimum time requirement.  Since I had just bragged about making that apron in less than 10 minutes, it obviously wasn't going to qualify.

My next plan was to make one from my own fabric rather than a pillowcase - and I had the perfect piece waiting in the closet.  (You know, one of those pieces you buy because you know you have to make SOMETHING from it, even if you have no idea what.)  The hitch was that I didn't have enough of the gorgeous black and red fabric, so I found some red fabric with white stars for the back of the apron and inside of the pocket.  
Again, my enthusiasm overwhelmed my preparation.  Once the body of the apron was assembled, I found I didn't have enough of the black OR red fabrics to make the ties.  Another dig through the fabric stash unearthed a second red fabric - this one with small red hearts.  The three fabrics worked beautifully together and I ended up with a "tool belt" style apron that I love.  

You can certainly do this in all one fabric but I'm going to share my method to make the apron with contrasting lining.  

1.  Cut two 20x14 rectangles - one from featured fabric, one from lining fabric.  (We'll call These F1 and L1)
Cut two 20x9 rectangles - one from featured fabric, one from lining fabric. (These are F2 and L2)
2.  Lay F1 and L2 together along the 20" edge - wrong sides together.  Stitch, open seam and press.  If either of your fabrics has a pattern with a definite top/bottom, check the next picture to be sure you have everything facing the right way.  
Do the same with F2 and L1.  You should now have two panels that look like this:
Notice lower half of left panel is upside down.
It will fold up to create the pocket and will then be right-side-up.
3.  Line up the panels, right sides together and sew around three sides, leaving the top open (the edge that will be the top of your apron). Turn right-side-out and press seams.  You should now have a basic pillow case (remember this was originally a pillowcase apron).  

4.  Lay the pillowcase out, the F1/L2 side facing up - the top of this side will be the main panel of your apron, so make sure the correct fabric is on top.  Fold the bottom (sewn) edge up along the seam line to create the pocket.  Pin and stitch sides three edges (sides and bottom).   Find center of pocket and stitch a vertical line from top to bottom - creating two pockets.

5.  Turn 1/2 " of top edge to the inside and press.You have now completed the body of your apron.  It just needs ties.  

6.  Cut two strips 3"x45" (or width of fabric).  Pin, right sides together along short end, stitch and press seam open - creating a strip 3"x90".  Fold in half length-wise and sew along long edge.  Turn right-side-out and press.  

7.  Pin tie along top edge of apron body, matching center seam of tie with center of apron.  Top stitch along top and bottom edges of tie, stitching body of apron closed at the same time.  Try the apron on and cut ties to the length you need.  Turn ends of tie to the inside, press and top stitch closed.

Press, fill with clothespins and head to the clothesline.

8 comments:

  1. perfect choice of fabric for an apron. it turned out very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cute and so useful!! When we moved I had gotten tired of those clothespin bags you mentioned in your first post - they rot - get bugs in them and blow away - so I threw my clothespins in a small blue rubbermaid container - labeled it clothespins - and it has just stayed on the shelf in the laundry room - - - but the apron would be so much handier!! And since Clay spends his time at the clothesline - do you have a masculine option? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like the apron and your persistence to get it done!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where do you buy such cute fabric? Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is going on one of my Pinterest boards! I made a clothespin bag to hang on my clothesline a few years ago and it worked great, but it needs to be replaced and this looks like the perfect way to do it. Thanks for the tutorial. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just finished this apron. Thank you so much for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for the tutorial! I just finished this apron. Trying to pinch pennies, my husband installed me a rotating clothesline, this year. I went through so many patterns looking for just the right kind of apron. Yours was exactly what I was looking for. :)

    ReplyDelete