Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Sew Wonderful

As part of the Farmgirl Sisterhood, I have been earning various badges. I will be using the blog as a way of documenting them for my own use, and possibly for your amusement.   So far I have received first level badges for Water Conservation and Quilting, and have applied for my first level Apron badge. The most recent badge I've applied for is the "Sew Wonderful" badge.  

The requirements for the badge are to put together a basic sewing supply kit - various colored threads, scissors, needles, pins, etc. - and to make a pin keeper of some sort.  Since I've been sewing off and on for years, I already had those supplies and more.  My issue is finding them when I need them.  I have a tendency to lay things down wherever is handy while I'm working.  "A place for everything and everything piled haphazardly."  Think I'm exaggerating?  See for yourself.
There's a trash can under the table, but obviously my aim stinks.  The plastic tote and the shopping bag on the floor of the closet hold my fabric stash - but the stash has outgrown the space and when I'm looking for something, everything gets dumped.  Same with my sewing tools.  You can't see it in this shot, but there is a lovely cabinet on the wall which my father built many years ago to hold my mom's sewing supplies.  Still, the supplies I've been using are laying on the table, the ironing board or the floor.  

My project for the badge was to sort, organize and store my supplies so that I can find them when I need them without having to dig through everything else.  It took a chunk of an afternoon, but everything is put away with like objects - all ribbon spools hanging together, bias tape in one cubby, snaps and Velcro in another, buttons gathered into a plastic bin, etc.  

The biggest sorting job was fabric, so I spread it out on the living room floor, divided it according to size, and stored it so that I can find what I need, whether it's a full yard or a six-inch square.   Fabrics for projects in progress are in the shopping bag. 
On the table, scissors and other tools I need frequently are in the cute pink craft tote I found in a box of things Amanda left behind when she went to college.  Supplies for other crafts are in the plastic drawer units.

As for the pin keeper requirement for the badge, I've previously shared one I made from a keepsake coffee mug and one I made for the arm of my chair.  Anyone want to lay odds on how long my sewing room will look this way?




4 comments:

  1. That's a nice sewing area. I'm still working on getting mine organized after our recent move. I've toyed with the idea of joining the sisterhood but haven't really decided yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy you visited Tami -- I'm not much for badge-gathering -- but I commend you for your efforts. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must admit I got a chuckle out of the before picture!! A true seamstress/crafter at work. And when you compare my sewing kit fit in a 5 x 10 plastic box - - - I guess it really shows who has the talent and who doesn't!! Love the final project and so happy that you have the sewing cabinet from dad - is there anything in it? Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great job. so neat and tidy, I could work there. I have been trying very hard to clean up after each project. I spent yesterday dealiing with all the left over bits from my last quilt, they are now cut or stacked for returning to the stash. feels to much better to not have them lying around and getting in the way.

    ReplyDelete