Saturday, April 27, 2013

Hour 7 Mini-Challenge: The Cover

Time is flying!  We're already into hour 7 of the read-a-thon and, as usual, I haven't read nearly as much as I had hoped.  But I'm having lots of fun, so it's all good. 

The challenge this hour is to pick the "best" and "worst" of the available covers of one of the books we are reading or plan to read today.  At the moment I'm working on an ARC with no cover at all, and a new book that doesn't have multiple covers yet, so I'm choosing a couple of old favorites.

Talk of cover art brings up one of my pet peeves:  book covers with pictures from the movie.  Case in point:

We won't go into the many reasons that the original cover (left) is better than the movie tie-in version, because that's not really the book I intended to talk about.  

The Second Coming of Lucy Hatch by Marcia Moyer is one of my all-time favorites.  It was one of those random library picks based mostly on the original cover (left).  The paperback version is the one I own, but I never would have picked it off the shelf based on the boring cover.  And red heels have nothing at all to do with the story - they don't even convey the feel of the story.  The third cover is one I hadn't seen until just now when searching for images.  At least it reverted to boots, but pink and glitzy are certainly not apropos.

Obviously, the original cover is the winner in my view.  Visit Maria @ Reading My Way Through Life to see what covers other read-a-thoners love to hate.


No comments:

Post a Comment