Monday, September 9, 2013

Happy, Happy, Happy

I recently read an author-interview blog post in which the author was asked to name the top five things that make her happy.  Interesting question. What makes me happy?  I'm not talking about cartwheels and pom-poms happy - like the birth of a child - or the lasting joy that comes from the Lord.  I don't even mean the relatively big things like kids coming home to visit, or fitting in to smaller jeans.  I'm talking about those little things that make me grin or sigh contentedly.  Here are some of the things on my list:

  • A good book.
  • Dewey's 24-hour Readathon
  • Clean sheets.  I would change them daily if it didn't mean more laundry.
  • Good quality bed linens (freshly laundered, of course).
  • Christmas displays in stores.
  • Christmas music, movies, books . . .
  • Iced coffee.
  • Book store, fabric store or antique store.  Don't have to buy anything, just like being there.
  • Using vintage items - a beaded coin purse, a 50's era canister, old aprons...
  • The beginning of winter.
  • The end of winter.
  • Holding a baby.
  • A new book in a favorite series.
  • Making something pretty - sewing, drawing, cross-stitching ....
  • Pretty dishes.
  • Libraries.
  • Good hair days.  They are less frequent than they used to be, so I love it when they happen.
  • A clean house - at least I think it made me happy the last time it occurred.  My memory is vague back that far.
  • A weekend with nothing planned.
  • Quiet.
  • A cool evening with a fire in the fire pit.
  • Writing with a good pen - chunky and easy to hold, flows smoothly.
  • Picking produce from the garden.
  • The "ping" of canning jars sealing.
Leave a comment and tell me what's on your list, then go have a day filled with all the things that make you happy, happy, happy. 


8 comments:

  1. Great list. Some of those would make my list. I'd also include a good night's sleep, a yarn sale, a book that entertains me, finding a long lost item, a quiet moment on the deck/porch....

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great list. I've never canned so I don't know the "ping" but I do like the fresh produce from the garden. Also love the Christmas displays in stores.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your list...I have to laugh at the "beginning" of winter and the "end" of winter, I can definitely relate. And clean sheets straight off the clothes line, awe the joy.
    I would have to add the unconditional love of a pet :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your list had me thinking about what my list would be. I share many of yours - new books, libraries, weekends with no plans... Thanks for making me take a moment to just think nice thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. folded laundry
    the smell of fresh coffee
    a real letter or postcard in my mail box
    new socks
    seeing a bunny eating dandilions in my backyard
    nicely made bed
    being brought a coffee or tea without asking
    chocolate
    the smell of the first drops of rain on a hot day
    kids laughing
    a new book that I've wanted

    ReplyDelete
  6. First cup of coffee for the day.
    Little puppies.
    Clear skin.
    Comfortable chair.
    Weekends.
    Walmart.
    Christmas candles.
    TV


    Thanks for asking Tami - that was fun! and oh . . Duck Dynasty makes me laugh out loud - happy happy happy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so with you on the sheets! I purposely change our sheets on Sundays so that when we crawl into bed Sunday nights with the week stretching before us, at least we have nice crisp sheets. I was just out today picking tomatoes and herbs and it did make me ridiculously happy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your list! Bookstores, libraries, the Read-a-thon are big happy makers here too :) I'd add a day with no 2 year old tantrums :)

    ReplyDelete