Wednesday, September 4, 2013

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like . . .

It's September, and you know what that means . . . Christmas!  Well, that's what it means to me.  In my Christmas-fanatic world, September 1 means it is acceptable to listen to Christmas music, start Christmas crafts, shop for gifts . . . Oh, who am I kidding - I do that year round.  But after September 1, I quit hiding it.  If you are one of "those" people who want to know why stores put up the Christmas displays before Thanksgiving, or before Halloween, or before Labor Day, the answer is . . . me.  I go to Hobby Lobby in June to stand in the Christmas aisle and just soak in the happy.  

So you'll find it no surprise that, while browsing through library shelves for crochet books (part of the Learn 5 New Things challenge), I was naturally drawn to this book:  Have Yourself a Very Vintage Christmas by Susan Waggoner.  Christmas AND vintage - awesome!
"Have Yourself a Very Vintage Christmas" came about after several years of looking at old Christmas catalogues, old Christmas cards, and old family photos - my own as well as everyone else's.  What I saw was a wonderful world of memory, loaded to the gills with decorations no longer made.  I wanted them badly.  And I didn't want the tattered, torn, and faded items that had survived in someone's attic; I wanted to see them as they might have looked hen they were new.  So I decided to try to make them for myself. (p. 7)
The chapters go through the decades - 1920's through 1960's - giving history on the colors, themes and traditions that were popular in each era.  Each chapter includes instructions for period-correct decorations.  My vintage of choice is the 1950's, so I'll be making Christmas Matchboxes, Christmas Card Photo Holders and Ice Lights; and adding ornaments in the signature 50's colors of pink and aqua.  I'm also planning a 1930's Yuletide Shelf Edger and some 1960's Ice Branches.  

Along with history and crafts, the book contains recipes and an artwork portfolio that can be scanned and used for crafting.  This book was published in 2011, so check your local bookstore or library and get in the holiday spirit.

4 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see the crafts!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am NEVER so into prepping for Christmas as all that, however, I have purchased the material to make 2 quilts for Grands for presents. I am STILL knitting the sweater for Son#1 that I started for Christmas three years ago! Your book sounds like a keeper. I do like the old-time traditions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so not into getting ready for Christmas early but hopefully retirement will help me with that. Can't wait to see your crafts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry I'm so late in posting. Just the other day my husband and I were looking for a garden item. We headed towards Costco and I jokingly said "I bet they've put away their garden stuff and have started putting out the Christmas decorations". I almost stopped dead in my tracks when I came upon the "garden" aisle that was now filled with, you guessed it, Christmas trees, lights, wreaths and the like. I never realized that someone would actually be happy to see this stuff. ;)

    I do really like Christmas songs/carols/hymns, but I don't play them until Dec. I also like making Christmas crafts, buying Christmas decorations and putting them up. However, not until late November, early December.

    Having said all of that, I'm looking forward to your creations.

    ReplyDelete