Saturday, February 28, 2015

Skunks and Bunnies

Last Saturday morning, I was awakened at 4:30 a.m. by the familiar click-click-click of canine claws pacing on hard wood floors, a sign that Molly, our eleven-year-old Springer Spaniel, needed/wanted to go outside.  I ignored her until 4:45, when Gabby, the mastiff, joined her. It's harder to ignore a dog who can stick their nose in your ear.    

As soon as I opened the front door just a crack, I realized why they were prancing to get out at that hour - skunk!  These dogs are not strangers to skunks - they have been sprayed at least twice - so you would assume that they know to keep their distance.  Well, I know these dogs, and I don't have that much confidence in their intelligence, so the door remained shut and the annoyed dogs stayed locked inside.

So there I was, awake at 5:00 a.m. with little chance of getting back to sleep, and two annoyed dogs that were still faunching to get out. I did the only logical thing - I went to the basement to sew a bunny bag. 

I saw the idea on Pinterest (where else?) and even though I don't have any little girls in my household, it was so cute, I had to try it.  It went together very quickly.  In fact, it took longer to embroider the face than to sew it all together.

I want to make a few more, varying the fabric choices for the ears and lining.  I'm still not sure what I'll do with them, but I bet I can find some young ladies who will enjoy them.

It was the beginning of a long, fun day of crafting.  At the end of the day, I was ready to get tucked in with a good book, but when I opened the door to bring the dogs in for the night, there it was again - skunk! -  but this time it was coming from the dogs. I told you they weren't that intelligent.   It was well below zero outside - so a hose in the front yard wasn't an option. 

If you've never tried to lift a rebellious, 100 pound, skunk-drenched dog into a bathtub, count yourself lucky.  It took more than an hour to bathe both dogs in baking soda and hydrogen peroxide, bathe myself, scrub the bathroom, and then wash towels, bath mat, shower curtain and my clothes.  Not the ending to my day that I was hoping for!  Maybe next time I should make a skunk bag and the dogs will just chase bunnies.

No comments:

Post a Comment